View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 02:12 PM   #3
jasonroman

Re: whats the cause for backfire thru exhaust while shifting??

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmsee View Post
What did you do to tune it up. That is a real vague term and everyone does it differently.

Some things to check but not necessarily in this order:

Before digging into the carb, check for any exhaust leaks real carefully. Make sure you don't have any cracks on the hoses and that all ports not used are plugged.

Check all the spark plugs for signs of oil burning and replace them if in doubt.

Check and/or replace spark plug wires and distributor cap and rotor.

Check vacuum advance to make sure it's working and not leaking internally. If you don't have a vacuum pump use mouth suction to insure it's not leaking.

Adjust your timing slightly retarded or advanced to see if it makes any difference.

Adjust the idle air adjusting screws for the highest vacuum and/or the smoothest idling. I prefer to use a vacuum gauge.
tune up consisted of, plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor
pretty sure vacuum advance working properly. only because when my buddy checked the timing. we noticed the change in sound when the advance was disconnected and vise versa.
guess i will loosen distributor and check if i get different result.
dont have a vacuum guage or am i sure where and how to test with guage.
but i will wait to mess with the carb for last.

would the backfiring also be linked to another issue i noticed.
when i am driving, let say 4th gear on the park way. if teh road has an incline. the truck slows down. no power to move at the same speed prior to incline. eiter down shift to 3rd or end up going from 65 to 35 till road flattens out.

also notice that if i get on the gas while shifting. the truck boggs down rather then accelerating?? just falls on its face for a second then will pick back up.
is that a carb issue? timing??
jasonroman is offline   Reply With Quote