Thread: Make it handle
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013, 09:36 PM   #1526
robnolimit

Re: Make it handle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69gmcc10 View Post
Rob,

I was noticed that you added a splitter and a spoiler to Hellboy and it got me wondering about mechanical vs. aero grip on these trucks. We spend most of our time working on mechanical grip, but what and where are the gains of a sleek 67 hood, tonneau cover, splitter and spoiler? Can you elaborate on the principles, you must have done those things for a good reason?

Thanks for your willingness to share your wealth of knowledge.
I guess I should tell the truth. - Part of the reason for the splitter/spoiler was to pump up the look for SEMA, and to help get us in to the Optima Invitational. Looks does help create a buzz. But, There is a performance reason. Two weeks before SEMA we were at the "Return to the Coast" event in El-Toro, and that was the first time I had ran the HellBoy on a big coarse (100mph+) I was surprised to learn that I won the road coarse event, beating the #2 finisher (Karl Dunn in his 'Blu-Balz' camaro, who I raced with a few times and like and respect) by more than a full second. I laughed a bit at this. You go out for four 'hot' timed laps per session, three sessions per day. I know the exact lap I went that tfast, and I was a bit scared most of the way around. This was the first time I entered a corner at 80+ and the bach was more than a little loose. On the main and back straight I could feel the front bobble around a bit, and it took a little brake check to get it settled before a corner. WOW, that was interesting. Two weeks until SEMA and the road coarse at Optima is bigger and faster. Splitter/spoiler. It didn't need much, and they work very well, too well maybe. With the radiator in the back I need some air to cool it. The splitter kept so much air out from under the truck that the temps got into the 'nervous' region. But the feel on the track was great. My fast lap at Optima was good for 9th overall on the big track, fastest truck, and shocked the crap out of myself. I may lift the splitter appx 1", it looks cool, but it scrapes on everything. Again, trail and error, and a whole lot of fun.
2011 Truckin' Throwdown Champion
GoodGuys 2010 National Champion

Proud to put our products up against all others!
robnolimit is offline   Reply With Quote