View Single Post
Old 07-16-2023, 01:05 PM   #71
Vic1947

Re: 65 Fairlane pro-touring build

I've been wrapped up with a couple of other projects, so I haven't had a lot to post about the Fairlane. The deck on the back of the house needs some work and all efforts to hire someone have gone nowhere. I ended up doing the woodwork myself and have an outfit coming tomorrow to pressure wash it to prep for new paint. I also decided I needed to motorize my bead roller. My helper has been down with a bum knee and back problems and is currently unable to run the hand crank. I adapted a HF winch to drive the rollers and sourced a power supply and controller off eBay. It works great and only needs to have the boxes mounted in an out of the way position.

Meanwhile, on the Fairlane - I talked to TCI about the 0.8-degree twist in the front cross member and they assured me that it would not be an issue. I set it up in the mill and trimmed the notches to fit snugly against the frame rails and it's tacked in place. While waiting for some materials to arrive, I dove into the floor pan. I removed the existing step on the passenger side that the original bench seat mounted to and got rid of a couple of small areas that were rusted. The toe boards are the worst. A previous owner scabbed some panels over the rotted places and all that will have to be cut out and replaced. The location of the rot in the car is very puzzling to me. Above the rocker panels there is zero rust. But the lower part of the car is eaten up in various places. Some of it has been repaired (poorly) but there's still a lot of original sheet metal that's in fair condition. Go figure. At least I'll have something to do this winter.
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote