View Single Post
Old 08-06-2017, 05:06 PM   #1
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Few 400TH transmission questions please

71 C-10 402/400TH

The captions in the images below show some questions concerning the transmission filter. Help/clarification appreciated. The last image is just for "pretty". I cleaned up a dent and such. I may paint that with the transmission, pending some research. Edit: After some research, the filter is supposed to be floppy. As for the filter missing something, it's not really an issue when you buy a new one anyway. Also, after some research, no I won't be painting any transmission. They don't dissipate heat properly if painted.

This truck is under-going a ground up restoration. I'm not rebuilding the engine, because there's just 40K and it's nice. As for the transmission, it shifts like new, but there's 140K on it. In your opinion, should I have this rebuilt? I'm not aware of very good reputable shops in the area (i.e., NOT AMCO), but seems there should be one. Also, what would you expect to pay for a quality rebuild? Edit: Yep, going to have her rebuilt.

Thanks for the input.
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 08-06-2017 at 11:50 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote