View Single Post
Old 10-14-2015, 12:19 AM   #38
Cautrell05

Re: It's my turn, 47 S10 build

Update time again. Last weekend I finally got the old frame stripped down. With the cab off the box was next to come off. Would have been easy if not for some previous "repairs"

Managed to get it apart with out too much carnage. Running boards were next. really wish I had a torch at home. Took forever cutting the rivet heads off with an angle grinder.

Wonder if it had starting issues?

I also pulled the stock brake pedal assembly off. I figured I have to fab one up anyway, most of the work is done this way. I was rather impressed with the fact that all the bolts came right out. The line cut in it lines up with the front cab mount bolts.

Right now all the parts are setting on the new chassis. The front cab mount is currently sitting at 6 inches (on blocks) The front cab mount is sitting 4 inches from the oval hole to the bolt. Sitting back looking at it, I think the wheel needs to go forward a little bit yet.

Here comes the questions. From reading many different places it seems like the front cab mounts are in the "standard" location. Most spec 2 inches from the oval hole to the back of the cab mount with the cab mount made from 4 inch square. Unless my math really sucks thats 4 inches. The wheel looks like it needs to go forward almost an inch. I did check front alignment to make sure it was close to start. camber is around 0 and caster is about 5. Might be a little high on caster but cant see the wheel moving that far ahead if I drop it down to 3 or so. both horns are trimmed back as far as i can without cutting into the steering box mounts.

By the time I move the cab back another 3/4 inch or so to center the wheel and cut enough to have a clearance I either need to cut into the sheet metal or I cut past the steering box mounts. Is that normal?

I have a plan for the cab mounts after I get it moved back. Thats the next step after I get my garage cleaned out. Have been gathering parts though. Had a Corvette come in the other day and had the exhaust replaced. Didnt want the old parts. He saw scrap. I saw a free 2 1/2 inch X-pipe that I didnt have to build or buy.

Finally found some wheels also. I sold the original s-10 wheels to a guy in town for $100 and picked up a set of Caprice police wheels. for the same money. Seems like a good trade. They may not be what I had pictured but they match and probably wont look too bad.

Had to test fit one just to feel better.

Really looks like it needs to go forward in that pic.

My 47/S10 build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=679723

Last edited by Cautrell05; 10-14-2015 at 12:30 AM.
Cautrell05 is offline   Reply With Quote