View Single Post
Old 03-01-2018, 02:32 PM   #9
cleszkie

Re: Single stage vs. Base Clear for Medium Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi43 View Post
Clear wont peel if it's applied properly and you don't use crap materials. The only reason clear peeled back in the 80s and 90s is because paint manufacturers were forced to come out with low VOC products. It first happened in the 80s when base clear was just glorified lacquer base with a clear coat. It happened again in the 90's when OEM started using water borne products.
Today, things are much different ! The only thing single stage is good for is painting trailers. If you had used proper materials and took care of the paint, you would have a shiny truck with no clear peeling . You will not find a quality bodyshop that paints vehicles with single stage (for a good reason). The only reason it's still available is for backyarders.
The OP asked for advice, and I gave mine. I don't care what someone decides to use, but the best thing I can say is don't spray a single stage metallic and then try to cut and buff it. The edges of the metal flakes will be exposed to the elements and the paint will look like crap in a few months.
I'm not arguing with your painting knowledge. However I do believe a lot depends on where you live with regards to the sun intensity. I would imagine that clear coating lasts much better up in Canada than it does down where I am at in southern California, regardless of the paint/clearcoat chemistry improvements made over the years. I see cars that are only 2 or 3 years old down here with oxidized and delaminating factory clear coats. It happens.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote