View Single Post
Old 11-10-2018, 11:38 PM   #4
Vic1947

Re: 57 Chevy Wagon - Californa Dreamin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
Nice!!....looks like a solid car....
Thanks! There's a lot to like for a project starter. The door, hood and tailgate gaps are very nice, which would lead me to believe it hasn't seen a lot of trauma.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Ashley View Post
I love wagons. Looking forward to seeing what you do with this one. I looks pretty solid.
It really is... just a little rust in a few places. Will know more once it comes back stripped nekkid from the blaster.

Since the RS chassis won't likely be here until the first of May, thought I'd at least post a shot of what it looks like. Only thing extra I ordered was the sway bar. Between now and whenever it's delivered, I'll need to scrounge up brakes, rolling stock and a third member. Hopefully there will be some dealers running specials on crate setups around Christmas. They've gone up since I bought the one for Crusty.

The plan for now is to tinker with the existing setup and get it reliable to drive and then maybe hit a few cruise-in's before blowing it apart. To that end, I pulled all the plugs today and found #8 totally closed up. It was pitch black and wet. Gave it a quick tuneup in the blast cabinet then gapped it along with all the rest. The 305 was originally equipped with a HEI, but it won't fit due to lack of firewall clearance. Someone has replaced it with a point distributor and external coil. Plugs were still setup for the HEI though.

The carb is where it really got nasty. What you see in the photos below is the actual fuel level in the bowl. You can also see when I poured the bowl contents into a paper cup that it was about half water. No wonder it doesn't want to stay running. I'm guessing I'll be chasing crud all the way back to the tank. Also, working the gas pedal to keep it running apparently loosened the throttle linkage and it barely moves so that will need some attention. Fun stuff.
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote