View Single Post
Old 05-26-2014, 05:39 PM   #1
Mr.Chevy4x4

If you can't find it, build it - K30

I've been wanting a nice regular cab K30 for a while. Scouring CL hasn't paid off. All of the ones I find are beat up, rusted out, or WAY over priced. I decided to build my own.

I found a smoking deal on a C30 GMC dually with the engine blown up. It's a 4-speed truck which plays right in to my plans. The body is in pretty decent shape with the cab being excellent (aside from the grab handles screwed in beside the doors!) It was also a diesel that also works out good for me.

Next up I won a GSA auction on a M1031 for less than I have paid for a pair of d60 14FF axles in the past! It had been a fire department truck and still had the big box on the back. I parted and scrapped the whole body.

What I'm left with is where I started this morning. I rolled the chassis in the shop and started stripping it down to get ready for paint. Pulled the 6.2l, 400/205, fuel tank , front and rear bumpers, and other odds and ends. Then I wire brushed the areas that needed it, followed by a coat of rust converter. Then it was time to mix up some paint and go to town.

Here's a picture of the dually, and my progress from today:
Attached Images