View Single Post
Old 02-25-2018, 08:39 AM   #12
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Re: K10 Shortbed Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelblackout View Post
Thanks to every one that posted. I do have an assembled truck that I am driving, that's the reason the Brothers kit looks so appealing. when I saw the 2wd only on the kit it got me to wondering if there was any major issues I was going to run in to cutting a 4wd compared to a 2wd. I see this done all the time on c10 but have not seen anything on a 4wd. B.W. thanks for the pics
If it is something you are driving and do not have another vehicle I would look into getting another frame to cut down. It is a job that shouldn't be rushed and will be slow to accomplish with a complete 4x4 drivetrain and exhaust system in the way plus limited access with the cab only partially removed will slow you down even further.

It doesn't have to be a 4x4 frame either. A 2wd GMC is standard with leaf spring rear suspension and it was an option on 2wd Chevy trucks too. I know the Chevy optioned with leaf has the bulged 2wd trailing arm profile frame but with dimple provisions formed into the rails to locate the leaf spring hangers and a different set of crossmembers behind the trailing arm mount crossmember. It does have the trailing arm mount crossmember but it isn't fit with the arm mounts. You will have to remove that crossmember to make room for your transfer case. The rest will remain and it will be a direct bolt-in to your current truck.

I converted my shortbed stepside Chevy C10 that was optioned with leaf to trailing arm with parts from my 67 C10 Suburban and put the leaf parts from the stepside onto the Suburban to facilitate its conversion to a 4x4. It was easy to install the leaf parts onto the trailing arm frame. You could get the needed crossmembers and shock mount brackets from a GMC in the wrecking yard to convert a Chevy trialing arm frame if you can't find a good GMC frame for sale. The front spring hangers from a square body are very different and will not work so they need to come from a 67-72.
68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote