View Single Post
Old 12-29-2015, 10:24 PM   #27
1BadAction

Re: 4L80E & TH400 Tech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinebarger View Post
If it really only has 80K, You will probably be OK, You can do the AFL fix when you build it. It is usually an issue on higher mileage units, Which most 4L80E's are at this point.

Symptoms of AFL wear are....Wrong gear starts, Converter clutch slip/Fall out Hot, Codes P0757, P0894, P0730.....If it gets bad enough....Clutch Burn-Up.

The above applies to you aswell, But OBD 1 equivalent codes would be 39, 85, 68.

If ya'll want to check the Bore physically, Remove the AFL spring, Move the AFL valve 3/16" from the bottom of the bore & wiggle the valve, Compare that to how much wiggle it has when at the bottom. It is hard to explain "Feel" & "technique"....

I stopped working at Transmission shops long ago, I work at a specialty Performance shop here in Fort Worth, We specialize in TH400/TH350/700R4/4L60E/4L80E performance builds, Ring & Pinion installs, And LSX swaps.

PM me for contact info.
Cool deal. Right now looking at it through tunerpro I have no pending codes, but that doesn't mean it's not worn. Something has **** the bed in the valve body either way, truck starts in 3rd and slightly binds when pulled into second or OD, rolls down the road and locks the TCC in third as programmed just fine. Best I can figure it's the "B" shift solenoid but I could be wrong, I'll inspect and clean everything. It is going on 26 years old so this is something that just happens. When its out I figured on doing the HD2 shift kit, new TCC, new shift solenoids, new filter screens, torlon check balls, and new 93+ force motor (as transgo instructs in their HD2) along with anything else that might need to be done, including an AFL fix.

Anyhow, if that gets it I'm going to be awesome, if not I'm going to need to get this thing completely gone through. I'll shoot you a PM.
1BadAction is offline   Reply With Quote