View Single Post
Old 11-11-2019, 01:16 AM   #59
Originalthor

Re: Yet to be named... ‘78 K10 Suburban

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea removing the front drive shaft and checking out the Cardan joint. I remember working on a friends dodge trying to find a vibration in 4x4 and horrible noise at hwy speeds. There was tons of play in is chain in the transfer case so he ordered up a new one and we put it in. Got rid the noise but vibration was still there so he took the front drive shaft in and it was slightly out of balance making it vibrate bad at the joint.

Your suburban sits pretty level for factory springs in it. I had to put 2 1/2 inch blocks in mine to bring it to level, but I got a pile of tools in the back.

Wheel bearings are easy enough to check but with the big tires best to have a friend move the tire back and forth and you watch to see if theres any movement in wheel bearing and upper and lower ball joints at the same time.

One other thing to check now that I was thinking of wheel bearings check your front axle shaft needle bearing play. They have crappy seals and if grease drys up in them is don't take long to wear out. I blew both of mine in one 4x4 adventure cause both seals were shot and dirt got in there.

Hopefully that gives you some more ideas to get it to that last 15 percent.
Originalthor is offline   Reply With Quote