View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013, 08:11 PM   #103
ls1nova71

Re: 67-72 Electric speedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970 C10 MJW View Post
bump for an update, also curious what kind of metal you used for the speedo backer plate
I haven't worked on my truck much lately, just too cold, and I need it to be done before I can do the detailed write up, but I will do it. I did hook the speedo I just made for my beater truck up to my car, an '03 Sunfire, and put about 50 miles on it, and it's dead accurate up to at least 85 MPH, with the exception of between 0 and 5 MPH, as the needle needed to be put on at around the 2 MPH mark, but at the angle it's mounted in the truck, it looks like the needle is at 0 when stopped.

The metal is just 18-20 gauge sheet metal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjohnson6772 View Post
I apologize if I've missed this: how did you wire this to the truck's harness? Did you cut the male end off of the original underdash harness? I would prefer to leave the original harness in tact with the male plug that goes into the factory cluster. Is this possible?
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes, I cut the male end off of the truck harness. I tried using part of the printed circuit at first, but it wasn't looking like it would be a very reliable way of wiring it. Also, I couldn't find a female plug that would plug into the factory harness. And since you'll have to add some wires for the speedometer (and in my case, a check engine light too) anyway, I just went to the junkyard and found a connector assembly and wired it in on both sides so it does unplug and you can remove it easily. It's wired just like you would wire any aftermarket guages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lts70 View Post
Money sent for two speedo kits
PM sent

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringoloco View Post
I'd like to get one of these, if they're still available.
I have 3 left, I'll send you a PM.

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote