View Single Post
Old 11-28-2017, 12:11 AM   #23
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: Help Me Pick Some Heads For Christmas Present

1) The Vortec heads do not require a different length pushrod. The L31 Vortec engine uses the factory roller cam, which requires a shorter pushrod. It is always a good idea to check your engine assembly for the correct length pushrod. You do not need hardened pushrods when not using guide plates.

2) If this is oin reference to the Vortec heads, no you do not need to do anything with the pushrod slot unless you are running 1.6 rockers. The L31 Vortec engine came from the factory with self-aligning rockers.

3) Yes you can use your original head bolts as long as they are in good condition. However new head bolts is good insurance against a failure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckingfuts View Post
Couple follow up questions:

1. Can I use my stock pushrods with the vortec style head and self-aligning rockers or do I need a different length and/or hardened? (I'm assuming 0.040" quench)
2. Do I need to widen the pushrod hole when using self-aligning rockers?
3. Can I re-use my original head bolts or do I need to get newer style head bolts that use the torque+angle method?
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote