View Single Post
Old 09-09-2017, 09:59 PM   #10
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: Brake lights . Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by englands 71 View Post
If I have brakes lights when I jump the white wire to the green and yellow wire under the dash that would mean my harness to the rear is good wouldn't it ? How else would it get power back there ?

Yes that is what the brake switch does, when you press the pedal it closes the brake switch and the orange and white wire connects with the white wire, and sends power through the turn signal switch to the yellow and dark green wires to the rear brake lights. I thought I read that you didn't have power back there.

I also jumped the hot white wire to the Orange and white wire that plugs into the brake switch and got nothing. Would that mean that the Orange and white connector is bad ? I looped the wire so that it touched the white and Orange wire from the hot white wire . No lights .

You said that backwards. The orange and white wire is hot and the white wire isn't hot until the brake switch is closed by pressing the brake pedal, then the white wire is hot. So you are saying that when you jumped the brake switch, orange/white wire to white wire you got nothing? You could have a bad brake switch or the Stop/tail fuse is blown or not making a good connection in the fuse holder, which is pretty common. The fuse holders get corroded and need to be cleaned. The orange/white should be hot with the key off if the fuse is good.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote