View Single Post
Old 03-01-2017, 04:39 PM   #11
trac209

Re: 305 engine issues

Update,Well ffw to today without touching anything first I wanted to see if there was any change from cold to warm engine. Started it up and it ran with a bit of a stumble as it burned out the lubricant I added to the power piston to see if it was indeed sticking. Engine was running good and strong but as the engine warmed up enough for the heat out the heater to be hot the engine started running worse and worse. It should have occurred to me the times this started happening was at higher speed on the highway that this might have been a heat issue but it hadn't.
This time and not wearing gloves I noticed the air cleaner was super hot and also the thermostatic switch for the air cleaner damper door was still closed,therefore all the air coming into the carb was super heated. I let the engine cool down all day and with the thermal switch disconnected I went for a little ride and it was good the whole time,in fact the more I drove it the better it got. I would guess the issue was the carb boiling the fuel at high speed and it would take quite awhile to cool down hence the intermittent issue since most of the test drives and errands didn't get the fuel hot enough to start causing issue,plus the various outside temps we have been having could mask the symptoms. Weather or not this is still just another coincidental fix still remains to be seen as it needs a good 30 min higher speed trial. Thanks James you were on to something with the door idea and all who chimed in with ideas,much appreciated
trac209 is offline   Reply With Quote