View Single Post
Old 08-18-2017, 12:13 AM   #4
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: Questions about exhaust manifold bolts and oil dipstick tube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
In the second row, second bolt in is one I recognize as an exhaust manifold bolt for one of our trucks. And no, you don't need grade 8 bolts for manifolds. Some people get all starry eyed when they see the Grade 8 designation, and want to put them everywhere, but it's pretty much a waste of money. If Grade 5 was good enough for GM, it's good enough for me. I just went and looked. I have a hodge-podge, just like yours.

The dipstick tube is a press fit, and has no O-ring or gasket.
Interesting. That's the bolt I'd have thought was the grade 2 replacement. Doesn't have the common grade 5 or 8 indicator, which may not mean anything. Of the 15 bolts used, that and one grade 8 are pitted.

Ah, another hodge podge.....Go figure. Well, if we assume they're original, GM didn't care, and of course different vendors. Mine are two lengths as well, 1.1/4" & 1.3/16". Yours hex head and lock washers also?

Somehow I thought the bolts would be tight, but they came off easily. I agree, grade 8 is unnecessary, if not too much. It doesn't take a lot to break these manifolds. Perhaps an argument can be made grade 8 is too tough.

From what I've seen, and you eluded to it, there weren't many grade 8 fasteners on these trucks from factory. I haven't pulled the suspension yet, but I only recall seeing grade 8 cross member bolts. The 1/4 stainless screws were grade 8 as well.

After a glance of my heads, those bolts are cool. They're just stamped with a "+". Couldn't tell you what grade, but they're good enough for me too.

Thanks for the information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadheadNM View Post
Love the makers marks on the bolts - it's been fun seeing all the different marks on the hardware I've replated.
My favorite is stamped with an anchor. I think I've seen a few, but one for sure, which mounted the brake booster arm bracket to the firewall.

Couple odd ducks are the bolts to mount the transmission vacuum module & brake distributor hose assembly to the a axle. Near as I can tell the symbol reads "MB". Two different sizes of course. They're a hex bolt with a slight recess. We better stop now , sounding like Mopar nerds

Speak of Mopar, I spent some time at Hot August nights. Once again I was most impressed by Mopar, for an original theme. While I haven't spent much time there over the last few years, I've yet to see one of our trucks that's high measure, less one that was modified. Disappointing. The coolest car was an old Plymouth or this VW. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS8doRBygs8
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details such as OEM identifications& part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 08-18-2017 at 01:00 AM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote