Thread: 72 k20
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2020, 11:47 PM   #195
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Re: 72 k20

Well I’ve got a few more updates....
All 50 screw holes in the high hump are welded up and the bottom of the hump is painted in chassis saver. I got the backup lights working for the first time since I’ve owned it... I knew the switch was bad as there was no guts in it at all. Ill have to post a picture of it later as I don’t have one on my phone. The plug for the switch was missing and the first inch or so of the wires were badly corroded. Replacement pig tails seem non existent so I had to improvise with two heat shrink female spade connectors. I got the lights to work once and then lost all power to the lower half of the fuse box(took me a little while to figure out I completely lost the bottom)... yea it was pretty much one of those days in general! After tearing the firewall bulkhead connector apart and checking everything there, and splitting the fuse box in half and finding nothing, I went to the Ignition switch and wiggled the brown fuse box supply wire and viola... problem solved. After that fiasco, I loaded the bottom of the high hump up with butyl tape and bolted it back in one last time for a while.(I hope any way)
I’ve also got all the holes cut in the carpet save the the transfer case shifter. I’m sure I’m not the first to come up with this but after some thought, I decided to use some 1/2” and 3/8 stainless tubing and a propane torch to make the holes. I left all the bolts in the floor and laid the carpet in place. Using the 1/2” tubing I was able to get all the holes including the seat belt hardware. It barely fits over the head of the bolts and makes a perfect hole while burning the edges to prevent fraying. I used the 3/8” for the dimmer switch holes. For the transfer case shifter hole I think I may try a sawzall blade locked into a pair of vice grips with the propane torch. My though is I’ll be able to follow the hole in the high hump and hopefully make a pretty nice edge. I hope to have the shifter boots and seat back in by the end of the week. I also got a complete heater/ac box seal set as well as a new vacuum tank, so that will probably be the next big to do. I’m hoping to get get it registered and such in the first week or two of June if things work out right. Not much left to do In this stage of the build. I can’t wait to take it down the road for the first time. I’m also gonna have to do both pinion seals before that time comes.
Attached Images

‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is online now   Reply With Quote