View Single Post
Old 01-09-2018, 11:59 AM   #6
Scott2

Re: Stopping rust inside door panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2 View Post
I expect you may get better answers but here's what I've done (and if I see a better answer I'll change my approach).

I clean the door as best as I can - and then hose it out outside and blow it out with air, and tilt it so you get all the water out. Once dry, I lay it flat on one of those folding stands, inside up and tape up the obvious holes, like door locks, from the outside. Then I pour some rust encapsulator inside and tilt the door around until it's completely covered inside. Often you can see it seeping thru the edge of the door skin. Then I tilt the door up and pour the excess out a drain hole. Once well drained, I lay it back down, do my best to wipe off any leaks and drips, and leave it until it dries. Seems to work great for me. I have a quart of Eastwood Rust Encapsulator waiting for my doors.
Update --- I am finally doing my doors and after getting them clean I poured some Ospho inside. It converts the rust and stops it. I rolled the door around and got it in the seams and it worked great. I bought my Ospho at a nearby marine store. Next up is a coat of the rust encapsulator just in case and as a more finished surface.