View Single Post
Old 02-04-2017, 12:54 AM   #246
Lattimer

Re: FITECH EFI 600 Basic and Command center intall with pics, factory tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEEVON View Post
In my '50 chevy I have FiTech and a bone stock cab fuel tank. I returned the line from a corvette filter regulator on the frame back to the stock tank by using the sending unit. The tank is bottom-feed, so I bought a sending unit that has a feed tube, and made a hard line into the cab and right into the sending unit and into the tank. The same could be accomplished by brazing or even a bulkhead fitting in a 67-72 tank sending unit and you wouldn't need a bottom-feed line. Or, get a new tank, weld a bung in the bottom and feed the fuel from there, using the stock sending unit feed line as a return. Not too much money into it that way. I also created a tank vent for pressure and vacuum in the filler neck, down to a filter (for vapor) inside the frame after finding out from three vented caps that none of them could move enough air volume. Yeah, they don't like to be run out of fuel, but neither does a carb...same deal, when you're out your out (found out the hard way already).
Yeah, I can do a return that way easy. Some of the later sending units have a return built into them (72 I think). But according to FiTech, that's no good for the vent on the FCC.

I think its been confused a little on this thread between the vent and the return.

The FCC needs a vent, not a return. But they want it vented into the air space above the fuel in the tank "in case". You could just vent it to air, but there is a chance of spilling fuel.

If you do the external pump, you need a return somewhere, whether from the throttle body or use the corvette regulator.

I like the idea of the FCC because it gives me a small "fuel cell" up front that stops the issues associated with fuel slosh in the stock tank. But I don't have a good way of venting that thing to the tank that meets what FiTech says I should have without buying a new tank. The one I have is already new, just not interested in doing it again.

At least with a carb you have the fuel in the bowl. The stock setup will suck air occasionally but the carb isn't as sensitive to it because of the small reserve in the bowl. If you suck air with injection you get a sputtering engine, because there is no reserve. Air in the line means air into the injector.

So I could do your setup pretty easy-----and I still might. I'd probably do a bulkhead fitting into the sending unit I have.

I've been reading a lot about these Holley hydramats: https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...mat/hydramats/

I think adding one of them to the pickup would fix the potential fuel slosh issues.

But just when I had my plan together Holley came out with their low cost fuel injection, so now I'm kind of waiting to see more reviews on that before I make a decision.

1970 Chevy C-10 SWB, 350, TKO 600 5 speed
My build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559881
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote