Thread: Rat repair.
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2013, 03:09 AM   #1
swamp rat

Rat repair.

Well since i have joined this forum i have posted a bunch of stuff allover and never started a build thread to keep all my work and posts together. So being as my truck is in dire need of help i just cant let it go neglected any longer, i don't know where all the money will come from but i got to keep at before my truck gets just too tired and rusty, i just don't think i'm going to be able to do a frame off tho not having a garage large enough to put the rat inside. I'm also going to try and gather up some of my old project threads and merge them here as time permits.

A little history, My step dad bought this truck as a second owner and used it to haul hay for his animals over in Eastern Wa. and then later traveled a bit with a camper, I got to use the truck off and on when in high school and fell in love with it. The truck had 94,000. miles on it when i was able to buy it from him in 1994. After i bought it I rebuilt the engine in 1996, it really didn't need it but i wanted to freshen it up a bit and take care of the old oil fouling problems these trucks had with the valve guide seals. I decided to buy a set of Worlds Products heads, RV cam and bored .030 over and put a set of Doug Thorley heads on it, i also found that the stock carb had a problem, there are 2 vacuum operated pistons that adjust the metering rods, the pistons seized up in the bore, i got them out but thought it best to replace it and choose an Edelbrock 600cfm and a Performer intake and K&N air filter to round out the package. its been a nice strong running engine since.

Now living in Western Wa, we have a lot of rain and for a long time i didn't realize this truck had a few leaks and the leaks took there toll on the poor truck its now got a lot of rusted panels that need to be replaced, but i think more importantly it needs mechanical work to once again make it safe to drive, the brakes, ball joints, tie rods and bearings are all shot. I did some research and decided that although 14 bolt rear ends are plentiful, for now i'd go ahead and keep the Eaton rear and do a disk conversion as well.

I also need to finish up some other stuff on the truck i started but didn't finish for to both health issues and having to do remodel work on my house so i'll get that stuff done here as well.
Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote