View Single Post
Old 01-12-2018, 11:14 AM   #10
MARTINSR

Re: Seeking Knowledge

Ok, here comes the old dude, leave the truck as it is. Unless you are going to drive this truck every day on winding mountain roads towing a boat, leave the truck the way it is.

Restore it stock, all the bed and all is available new and they are the ONE reproduction sheet metal parts that are worth buying for sure.

But honestly, think about it, think about it hard. You are going to be doing some serious cutting up of your dad's old truck to get it on that frame.

Just setting the cab there, not a big deal, but the front sheetmetal has to be serious modified to fit. I am a hot rodder, I get it, mods to make it more drivable, I get it, mods to make it faster, I get it. I have a sixties Muscle car modified for the drags and hanging corners, I get it. My truck, I had a mid engine Buick in it 40 years ago, carburator between the seats mid engine, I get it.

But I also drive a stone stock 1959 Rambler everyday with drum brakes, three on the tree and a flat head motor, basically the same motor, drive train and braking as you would find on a 1935 car, and I drive it every single day, EVERY,SINGLE, DAY in the SF bay area. I am an old dude, the memories in THAT truck just as it is that is how you want to keep it. I enjoy driving that stone stock Rambler, her name is Marge. I pat Marge's dash board almost every day thanking for for giving me such joy. I love showing it to people, opening the hood showing them the simplicity of an old car. Ringing the "bermuta bell" that I have at kids when they show interest, driving that old truck just as your father drove it, damn that's cool!

If you do modernize it, leave that stock frame, put an aftermarket IRS in it, slip in a small block, it's easy peasy! There are so many different options it's crazy!

Nothing evil here, no knocking everyones ideas, I am just throwing out there another idea.

Think about it, "Move into the community" of this truck on forums and give it some thought before you jump into the frame swap idea full bore.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote