View Single Post
Old 02-04-2012, 10:09 PM   #32
ATVYP

Re: Uncle Howard's 1946 Chevy Truck

I have been REALLY hard at work this past few weeks. There are many seasons that I must work 24 / 7 in youth ministry, so I need to take this window of time to get some stuff done!

My ultimate idea is to run a T56 6 Speed transmission and fuel injection, so I am running all the extra items now so I will be ready when the time comes. I finished the bed tilt, but realized I didn't take pictures of the finished product! Oh well, I will have the bed back on soon.

I purchased 2 250 lbs gas springs (shocks / struts - like to open / close the rear lid on a Vette or Camara). A close friend is an IT manager (aka: the computer guy's computer guy) and former CAD designer, so he showed me a cool and easy formula for placing the shock points on the bed and frame. It turned out GREAT! With a little lift, the bed opens itself and stays, then with a tug down, it easily closes itself. I am in the process of making a latch mechanism that will be hidden in the frame rails - I think I will use a hood latch lock, and the cable will run into the cab with a hood-style release. That way it is all clean looking, safe / secure, and there are not any tacky pins or clips anywhere (no offense if anyone has gone that route!).

A good friend who is a local car collector hooked me up with a TRICK fuel cell. I was going to reinstall the heavy steel job my dad had made, but this thing is neat. It came with a Nova drag car he bought / sold a few years back, and was just setting on his shelf for the past 10 years. I am in the process of installing / hooking up / fabricating parts to put it together.
Attached Images

ATVYP is offline   Reply With Quote