View Single Post
Old 02-03-2019, 06:41 PM   #1006
MP&C

Re: 55 Wagon Progress

Glad to help Rick!

More progress on the wagon, we had ordered some 3/8 Stainless fuel line, which comes in a coil... so we needed to be able to straighten it out as I can see me "unbending" and getting it right.. So I placed an order with McMaster Carr for some pulleys designed for 3/8 rope and using 3/8 bolt hole in the bearing. Part number 59475K51.

A drive mechanism was made using 3/8-16 stainless all-thread, and the slider was cut and re-welded to better fit the 1" square tubing.

A better view all around of the design, we used three pulleys so this could also serve as a bender as well as straightener..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpgMekrEA3g

Then Mike and I did a test run using copper tubing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FumsneaLJlU

Now onto the stainless....

At this point we measured and cut the 20' piece in two so it would be more more manageable.

Straightened....

Now we used the adjustable spline to get the curve of the frame for the proper bend on the stainless...

A strip of tape applied helps to lock the shape from moving, and the tubing is marked for the radius distance..

The tube is placed back in the new machine to add the radius to match our profile...

Adding some of the needed bends...

For some of the interior details, we took delivery of the speaker trim rings from my cousin JB, he did a nice job cutting these out for us... They still need holes drilled, stainless mesh cut to fit, and polishing...

....and our Mopar door clips we were going to use for the rear arm rests turned out to be a bit brittle, most snapped off rather than pull back through the hole. So we ordered the similar GM version, keeping our fingers crossed...

Alas, in my typical Murphy strikes again mode, these were slightly smaller and/or the holes already located in the kick panels were slightly gaping.. We searched the entire shop for a MacGyver solution and found that a 3/8-16 hex nut did a good job of "capturing" the clip, but without the "not letting go" part that a hole in sheet metal provides if the clip rotates slightly while in the hole. So some 3/8 stainless nuts were machined so that they could be welded into the kick panel and yet have the thread grip flush at the surface.