Thread: 66 k20
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2019, 07:38 PM   #101
jdl71

Re: 66 k20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Short 3/4 View Post
Probably a bad bearing in the xfer, I had the same issue. That might also explain the high rolling resistance. Had same noise in mine and when I tore down the case it had issues. Done with rebuild, but haven't re installed yet to see. I knew it was transfer because I ran it with a longer driveshaft and case removed. Even though noise changed with trans gear selection and it looked like a trans problem, all noise went away when xfer removed. If you have access to a 2wd drive shaft, it is the ultimate way to trouble shoot it.
Good luck
Tom
I'm not going to rule that out, but it really sounds like it's coming from the trans. I've planned on going through the t case, but am not sure it's within my abilities or not if it needs something more than seals. There's a pretty good trans shop close that will do it, I haven't gotten a quote from them yet though.

Are you saying a regular 2wd longbed drive shaft with bolt right up? I've got one here from a 1/2 ton, I'm pretty sure it has 1310 joints on it and the output on my 4 speed is 1350's. I'd sure like to try that to see what happens.

64 C10

66 K20
jdl71 is offline   Reply With Quote