View Single Post
Old 03-05-2020, 08:36 PM   #9
msg

Re: Vintage air sure fit kit 941164 condenser mounting question on a 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcampoDave View Post
I too had a condenser airflow problem and an overheating problem when I went with a/c. I had to uprade my radiator and fan and also made thin metal baffles to close the gap between the radiator and the condenser which forced the engine fan to pull thru the condenser
Lots to think about, the radiator I have I was thinking to have reconditioned (rodded and boiled out) and reuse it. Now Im getting concerned about the overheating. On the baffles you did, I think I get what your saying. Ill have to draft up a solution and see if its what you had done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenchbender Ret View Post
I put their kit on a 70 c10 when I had it. The instructions said to remove the braces which I did. I didn't seem to have any problems from it.
I had the 4 core radiator with a 2800 cfm electric fan & never had o-heating problems.
Sounds like you have a way better radiator than I currently have. Glad you never had issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_wilson70 View Post
I installed mine without removing the x-braces. But I did upgrade to a 6 blade fan. A well sealed shroud is a must. I have had no overheating issues (1977 Gen I 350).
Im hoping not to remove the bracing, glad you got it to fit. Ill see what kind of fan I have, the guy that did the power steering conversion ended up changing the water pump and the fan. It may be decent, looks out of place as far as its design. Ill try and post a pic of it later. I have the stock shroud I guess, had it sand blasted and I painted it up along with all the other stuff. Ill post a pic..is it not a well sealed shroud you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdell View Post
I installed VA this past September and didn't have to remove the X-brace. It's an awesome kit but be sure to follow the directions to the letter.
Good deal! I will do my best to follow the directions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin63 View Post
Here's how I mounted mine. I did have to mount the drier a little higher than the instructions call for to clear the X brace. The kit does call for cutting a hole underneath the battery tray for the hardlines, but the previous owner had cut a fairly sizeable hole in the radiator support to the passenger side of the battery (I think he had a front wench mounted at some point), so I enlarged and elongated the hole to accommodate the AC hoses passing through.
Thanks Vin for the pics that really helps. Looks awesome! Any overheating issues for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kberger View Post
msg, No I wasn't having cooling issues, I was getting high head pressure on the compressor from too little airflow. The pressure switch was cutting the compressor out.
Thanks kberger, so the added aux fan did the trick. Good to know.
Attached Images