View Single Post
Old 03-07-2018, 09:09 PM   #10
Stephen Watson

Re: Bilstien shock experiment $$

Quote:
Originally Posted by akart View Post
First I was to get custom springs and it was to take 3 weeks, fine w/ me they shipped me whatever springs in 1 week,doesn't sound like custom to me. I measured eye to eye and asked what measurements they wanted, they said they knew what I had and they do this all the time. They sent me rear springs 2" too long and told me to move the back mounts.ever try that. Grind off 12 rivets and drill 12 new holes,fun. The front springs rode on the frame and they sent me longer front shackles. I am a stupid old man and I had to spend many hours on the net figuring this out. I was supposed to get a 2" lift, front was 3" (fine) and the back was 7". No answer from them on that (like too bad) maybe it will settle (right) Which threw my castor off and I had to buy 2 degree castor wedges which I have yet to put in because it is a real PIA and they don't want to talk to me anymore but they were sure good at taking my money. It's all my fault you see.
If you still have big ride height differences after moving the hangers to the 56" location we need to work that out. We thought that was fixed last summer.

As for shocks, I suspect part of the problem might just be length and positioning. If you don't have 3-4" of shock travel in each direction it'll get stiff quick. The rougher the road the more travel you'll need to keep from topping or bottoming the shock till you get to a shock length that exceeds the springs' available travel. It's not always obvious when a shock only has an inch of droop travel available but it'll ride terrible if that's the case. It's usually pretty obvious when there's only a couple inches of bump travel.
Stephen Watson is offline   Reply With Quote