View Single Post
Old 03-18-2010, 11:07 AM   #7
Mr.Chevy4x4

Re: Lifting an 84 Chev 4x4

Ok, here goes.

If you want to go all suspension lift I would buy a kit from someone like www.roughcountry.com (or any other reputable suspension manufacturer).

If you go with a 4 inch lift you can get away without having to lengthen your driveshafts, and drop brackets (included in the kit) will allow you to run the stock brake lines. Your options are to run the factory rear springs with a lift block or spend a little more to get new rear lift springs. My experience has been this: If you are concerned about ride quality go with the factory rear spring and lift blocks. If you are going to beat on the truck offroad then pop for the new rear springs. The lift blocks give the axle a LOT of leverage against the springs and will cause axle wrap if you beat on it. The kit will come with a new steering arm for correction. The 4 inch lift will easily clear 33 inch tires, and will clear 35's with some very minor fender trimming on the bottom corners.

If you are set on 6 inches of lift I would buy a complete lift kit like I mentioned before. Just KNOW that you will have to lengthen driveshafts and buy new brake lines. A 6 inch lift will clear 35's easy, and 37's with minor trimming.

You also have the option of going with a 4 inch suspension lift and 2 inch body lift. I personally don't like body lifts. There are a lot of things you have to address with body lifts. I.E. Fan hitting fan shroud; transmission linkage, transfer case linkage, bumpers not lining up, fuel filler hoses, etc. As far as you steering column question, there is enough "slip" in the factory coulmn to accomodate up to 3 inch body lift.

There are TONS of opinions out there on how you should do it and whose parts you should buy. Don't believe everything you read, and don't discredit everything you read. Just try to become educated before you decide.

www.coloradoK5.com has a good forums area with lots of helpful people who can help with any questions you might have.

My personal preference is 4 inches and 35's.

Don't forget that you will feel a loss of power with the bigger tires and might want to consider regearing.

Mike

Last edited by Mr.Chevy4x4; 03-18-2010 at 11:29 AM.
Mr.Chevy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote