Thread: Make it handle
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2010, 05:24 PM   #293
Conundrum

Re: Make it handle

Happy New Years Everyone!

Rob, I have a couple questions.......

First I am planning out my 74 project, and like most want a much better driving experience with my old truck. Not exactly race ready, but ready for what may be thrown it's way.

My plans for the front were to cut 1.5" out of the crossmember (have already done it to an extra one), do a slight Z on the frame (no more than 2" and reinforced ofcourse) and run drop spindles, maybe cut the coils slightly to get my ride height "just right". I had planned on raising my steering components up the 1.5" that I cut out of the crossmember to atleast keep the steering the same as factory. I realize that it will be around 6" of drop.

Are there going to be any problems with doing the front that way?

The rear I haven't quite figured out just what I wanted to do just yet.... I could just flip the rear nad modify the leafs as you said in an earlier post, and I thought about converting to the earlier swing arms. I have owned and driven a couple 67-72s and 73-87s, and the 67-72s are much smoother but I know as you start to increase the handling the ride quality will suffer a little.

Which would be best for the rear for performance and ride?

97 GMC reg cab short bed, 4.3V6 / 5spd, daily driver
220,000 miles, all stock for now
Conundrum is offline   Reply With Quote