View Single Post
Old 05-11-2003, 11:17 PM   #1
sixnine
Longtime Member

Talking McGyver or what?......

I replaced the starter on my truck a few days ago. Well, evidently, I didn't make sure the battery cable was installed correctly. I just slapped the cables on and bolted it up. The next morning, I was headed to class when the truck died. I was in the fast lane and it was morning rush hour so I had to dodge a few cars and limp to the shoulder. Guess what it was? The battery cable was touching the exhaust collector and once it heated up enough to melt the cable insulation, instant ground! Almost blew the battery! Not having any tools, I looked around in the ditch and found a metal top to a Copenhagen can and cut a piece of my rubber floor mat. I wrapped the rubber around the cable and wedged the Copenhagen lid between the collector and the cable. Voila! Truckin' again! I actually drove it like this for a couple of more days until I could get the time to replace the cables (both were fried from the ground to ground situation) the battery survived. Moral of this story is, make sure you check the battery cable when you replace the starter.

1972 C10 Short Step -http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=261405
sixnine is offline   Reply With Quote