View Single Post
Old 03-10-2018, 10:52 PM   #740
Billhilly

Re: post up your camping pics

Ok, so I can put words between the pic's, but then the pictures are doubled up at the end...! If you can tell me how to get rid of the pictures at the bottom I'd appreciate it!

North from Porangahau the road cuts inland but if you go up to Blackhead beach (great name eh!) you can go out onto the beach and up to the next settlement and save a few road miles.

You can actually carry on up furthur to Porerere but I wussed out. There was no one around, the tide was on the way in, and 'nearly' making it wasn't really an option!

So we headed back out on to the road and North onto a sheep station. I had rung the farmer and asked about off road opportunities and he said we could head onto his place!
The Kiwi vernacular for small house/hut normally used for holiday/hunting etc is 'bach' pronounced 'batch' (go figure). Well, to be more precise, in the North Island it's 'bach', in the South Island it's 'crib'. Either way, this guy had built a small place up on the coastal ridge looking west over his farm, and east over the Pacific. An amazing place. Nothing but Pacific for 5000 miles to the Chilean coast. This is right out front of the bach. Nice spot huh?

Attached Images