View Single Post
Old 09-08-2004, 11:57 PM   #20
SubBob

A short history of problem

This problem started (or became apparent) after the Suburban was parked for a while. Prior to that the only thing was that sometimes while driving 55MPH, it would "spit" (maybe quit) just for a split second, Check Engine light would come on for a few seconds and go out. Wasn't much of problem. Just would do that occassionally. I then parked it for a couple of months. Didn't even start it. When I did this problem started. While idleing, the rpm's would go up and down. When you tried to drive it, it would buck and jump and just about quit. Didn't have time to fool with at the time so it sat a while longer. When I did get to it I first thought it to be the fuel filter and then the fuel pump. No change. I then found out the battery was bad and got a new one. Had alternater checked at parts store. It was OK. If I remember correctly (old age is starting to get in the way) this is when the truck would idle "OK", but couldn't drive it. That's when I started checking and replacing parts (see original post). Not one of these has made even the very slightest of change in the problem. One thing I forgot was that I put new ends on the battery cables due to corrosion. Cut cables off a little to assure corrosion didn't go deep into the cables. Cut off no more than an inch to where copper was clean and shiny. This didn't make any difference. So here I am. I have done or already had done the things mentioned in the replys to my original post except check grounds (don't where they all are. Hope Chilton manual is clear on this), check coil voltage (don't know how and book don't say how) and use timing light to check for location of miss or misses. I how to do these this weekend.

Thanks
SubBob is offline   Reply With Quote