View Single Post
Old 05-29-2018, 09:14 AM   #5
Gippetto

Re: New Door Latches for 1953 3100

I have been looking at bear claw latches for some time and wound up purcasing AutoLocl along with their indtall kit. Basically quite similar to the Altman latches. I have not installed them as yet but they actuate very smooth with a few drops of oil. They are 3/4" thick as are the Altmans and when I test fitted mine the watchout I'm aware of showed in that they interfere with the window guide channel that screws into the door jamb. Altman doesn't mention any mods necessary with their system. Theres does surface mount on the outside so you gain the material thickness of the door but, as I see it, that isn't enough to clear the channel. You need more like 3/16 of an inch to comfortably miss it. I am planning to bump out the surface where the latch mounts that amount and compensate pin position, if necessary .
I am shaving the handles and asked opinion of this forum earlier about reversing, putting the latch on the truck and the pin on the door. I am going with the latch in the door, bumping out the mounting surface. Working inside the truck body would be like knee surgery mounting the solenoid and backup cable.
I bring this up only because I don't see how Altman's latch misses the window channel. They don't have an instruction preview on their site and the tout how easy it goes in.
Anyone have experience?
Gippetto is offline   Reply With Quote