Thread: 55.2-59 55-59 frame swap
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2018, 03:37 AM   #17
two55trucks

Re: 55-59 frame swap

you say your truck is a 3800? so it's frame rail's are straight, with no hump. if you are wanting to swap out the frame for the purpose of having a short wheel base, (I.E.. 114") why not just relocate the rear spring perches forward to obtain the 114" wheelbase? believe me, it is a whole lot less work, time, and money spent. if you're looking to lower your truck you can always C-notch the frame easily. why wear yourself thin trying to find the perfect dimentioned chassis when you actually already have one under your truck now? the 3800 series chassis is plenty strong enough for anything you may want to put your truck through, and, it already fit's perfectly. as far as the front suspension goes, there are plenty of option's available out there. personally, i went with a '73 camaro clip. it was simple and cost effective. i spent a total of 3 day's, (start to finish) removing the front section of the 3800 frame and grafting in the subframe. the only really time consuming part was measuring, and remeasuring, and measuring again before welding the two together. my finished product? ride's beautifully, has the perfect stance for the '55 - '59 TF body style, and, if i didn't point it out to anybody that may ask, yu would never guess my truck started life as a 3800 platform truck
two55trucks is offline   Reply With Quote