View Single Post
Old 09-17-2015, 09:23 AM   #16
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: 68 C10 Yellow wire from firewall to starter/coil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolboxchev View Post
So if I wish for my electrical system to be working properly with an HEI and standard externally regulated alternator both the resistor wire and the plug on the alt with blue and white wire can be eliminated?

Keep in mind that you have two separate resistor wires in the truck circuit. One of them is for the ignition and the other is for the charging system. When you convert to the HEI ignition you can eliminate the resistor wire that goes to the coil and the starter from the bulkhead block. The cloth covered one.

You will still need resistance for the alternator whether you have an external or an internally regulated alternator. The brown wire from the bulkhead connector that goes to the external regulator and the white wire from the regulator serves this purpose on the externally regulated alternators. The blue wire is the voltage sensing wire and also supplies current to the fields of the alternator for greater or lesser output as needed. So yes you need the blue and white wires for an externally regulated system.

I am still an electrical newbie

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote