View Single Post
Old 09-29-2009, 12:55 AM   #7
texanidiot25
Eat My Rust

Re: 6 lug disc brake conversion

For 500?

Junk yard 73-87 "heavy half ton" spindles, for the 1.5" wide disk brakes, matching calipers. Get 73-87 outter tie rod. Keep your stock tie rod end and use which ever has the correct threads. We believe on my truck that the tie rods were swapped in my truck's past and were put on wrong... But I used the 'stock' outer and '73-87 outter with teh CPP conversion tie rod sleeve. CPP 6-lug rotors. New brake lines. Put the 73-87 ball joints into your stock arms, and put in the 73-87 spindle, newly made conversion tie rod, and you can start driving there. Yes, it is highly reconmended to swap the MC and prop valve, but you can live with out it for the time beeing. I run the setup as is and I do pizza delivery. Trust me, this truck has NO problem coming to a stop. And it's seen a few thousand miles. Even in the wet it's still very stable and easy to work with out locking up. And far better than any drum brake setup can offer.

The disk brake MC and Prop valve can be pulled from a 73-87 donor, but it take a bit of work to make sure all the geometry works in the brake linkage in some cases. Or you can surf the board and find a good deal on a 67-72 setup as well. I got my MC and prop valve for $60 bucks. Just haven't had the down time to get to my dad's to swap it all in and put in some new hard lines (just to optimize the setup to it's best).

Spent maybe 400-500 and was dirt easy to do once you got the parts list figured out.

Last edited by texanidiot25; 09-29-2009 at 01:00 AM.
texanidiot25 is offline   Reply With Quote