View Single Post
Old 12-30-2009, 10:11 PM   #63
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Re: How about some pics of '73-'87 wrecker, fire, ambulance, etc?

Yes, dad ran 9.00-16’s from the first tire replacement on. In fact, it still has 9.00-16 Gateway Gumbo mudders right now, which were nothing more than a commercial tube type version of Ground Hawgs. He did run Buckshot Q78’s for a short time but went back to Gateway 9.00’s. The truck probably went through 10 pair in its life. Dad swore by them for the snow, which his funny because we don’t get much snow in this part of CO. At least they looked cool. You sure couldn’t sneak up on anybody though…they are LOUD!

The truck wasn’t lifted but the rear springs were reworked with 3 springs added to each side, which probably added an inch or two and the front were re-arched and maybe a spring added, I can’t remember. I do remember the 9.00-16’s did rub the front fenders when hitting an off camber obstacle just right.

Funny about the Q78's, as we had an old one mounted on a 8 lug wheel that I bolted on my truck like 15 years later and I really liked the tall skinny profile and fitment, which is why my '78 has Q78's on it now.

I never saw the World Fastest wrecker before. That is sweet! Something to be said for a truck with the aerodynamics of a drive-in move theater screen averaging 109.33 mph at Talladega! That thing had to sound like the pistons were swapping holes while doing so.
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote