View Single Post
Old 01-19-2019, 01:21 AM   #9
Overdriven

Re: Shortening the bed, literally just the bed

Different strokes for different folks. Personally I like the stock proportions, whether lwb or swb everything is where it should be. Bobbed doesn’t look right to my eye, same as some of the newer trucks out now with the wheels near the rear of the bed. But bobbed is half way to swb (if you do it to those proportions) and you can always shorten in front of the rear wheels later.

Little tip for your cuts, use tape. Tape provides a nice straight line and you can then measure from that line to create another. I’m sure you’ve read other threads about shortening and seen this and other tips though. Also you can rent flaring tools for free from autozone for brake and fuel lines. Add in some welding wire, some steel reinforcement plates for the frame and shortening the driveshaft and those are the expenses for shortening the bed.

For the surface rust, I’ve tried using a converter where I did bodywork and the rust eventually came back. I don’t know why exactly. In my opinion you’re better off sanding it down, a DA or even a random orbital with some 80 grit will make quick work of it. If you have hard to reach places I hear naval jelly works pretty good.

Last edited by Overdriven; 01-19-2019 at 01:29 AM.
Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote