View Single Post
Old 03-02-2012, 01:43 AM   #79
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: Markeb01 Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by likaroc13 View Post
you know, i always love reading about your build...not only does it keep my interest, but it's pretty easy to read/follow with proper grammar & spelling....and some build threads just don't captivate me quite as much as others...however your insight and perspective of things always keeps me longing for more...to me it's not always just a truck build, but it's somewhat like a bio offering a little glimpse of someones life story...those are the kinda build threads i enjoy most...i appreciate your contributions to the forum, and i'm glad we have folks like you around here
Thanks for the comments, and I share your appreciation for story telling. As an example, one of my other hobbies happens to be WWII military aircraft. While I would find it interesting to look at photos of a perfectly restored P38 Lightning, by comparison I have spent hours (actually years) following and studying all the details of how it took millions of dollars and years of effort to dig it out from under a glacier and another 10 years to restore it to flying condition, as happened with Glacier Gal. The effort, risk to human life, and dedication invested really increases my enthusiasm. So I’ve come to appreciate that if something is worth sharing it’s worth offering some of the details that hopefully make it interesting.

One of my other foibles is that I grew up watching too many episodes of Perry Mason. As a kid I came to appreciate that the correct selection of words could make a statement bullet proof. Something that could not be reverse engineered to produce a different, alternate, or more favorable result other than what was intended by the author. I started practicing this philosophy in the Marines when drafting official bulletins and procedures, and throughout the rest of my career. In the service there were consequences for improperly worded communications and I preferred to avoid those consequences. It became part of who I am. But I’m also not a fanatic. The only time I have an issue with poor use of language is when it’s so bad I have a hard time understanding what is being said or asked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurphy View Post
Mark, you know those refigerator magnets you get from just about everyone? The ones the bank sends you with a calendar, or the local parts store with their hours and phone number on them.... If I had stickers like you do, I would apply them over those frig magnets (I actually do this alot with photos). I do it with car show stickers and do-dads too.

They are long lasting, and moveable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by likaroc13 View Post
actually been playing around with that idea myself, using the Mooneyes decal like Mark has on the fender...not for my '66, but for my S-10...but i'd have to use a larger magnetic sheet cut down to size
I thought about doing that myself on the glovebox, since I actually have sheets of magnetic material I bought years ago to make my own back magnets. It’s available from McMaster-Carr under “magnetic sheets”. They actually make Mooneyes magnetic “decals”, but from the few I’ve seen applied to the outside of a car they tend to curl at the edges over time. I figured inside they’d hold up much better, but I’ve tried to stay as “authentic” as possible on mine, and back in the 60’s refrigerator magnets wouldn’t have been available yet. I agree they do make a lot of sense on a truck where you don’t want to permanently mess up the paint. I suppose it would help to move them around every now and then so the paint doesn't fade a pattern around them.