View Single Post
Old 11-02-2015, 01:05 AM   #20
Techie79

Re: My 1958 GMC 100 Stepside Budget Build

I finally managed to get a few hours in this weekend dismantling the cab. Between the kids tearing up their vehicles and the normal family duties it seems like there is never enough time for the important things in life like truck time. Anyway, I managed to get the cab nearly completely stripped of all hardware and glass. I think the only things that are left are the two lower door hinges and finishing removing the wiring harness. I ran into a slight snag when removing the hinges and the nuts broke loose on the bottom bolt on both lower hinges. Now the only way I see to get at those nuts is to remove the inner panel on the hinge pockets. I guess it is a good thing I need to do some rust repair on or replace those panels anyway. Also I uncovered some more rust problems that will have to be dealt with.

This one is kind of hard to see but I found a couple places on the top windshield lip that the outer layer of metal is gone. It would probably be ok but I will likely patch it up just to be safe.

The transmission cover is in much worse shape than I thought it was so it will need to be replaced.

And last but not least I found a badly pitted place on the driver side where the inner roof meets the windshield pillar. After seeing how badly it was pitted I poked at it with a screwdriver and the tip went right through it. It doesn't appear to be a very big area but I'm not quite sure how to correctly repair this one. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated

and now some pics of how she sits today.

At this point I think I am finally just a couple hours of work away from being ready to start stripping paint and making repairs.
Techie79 is offline   Reply With Quote