View Single Post
Old 01-12-2013, 09:01 PM   #1
racecougar

Bringing the '65 back to life

I've been lurking here for a while now, so I figured it was about time I registered and made the obligatory introductory post. It just so happens that it will be a build thread as well.

After residing in the often forgotten backroom of the shop for nearly twenty-five years, my father and I have finally begun to work on his '65 C10. The truck is one of four that his father ordered new in late-'64 from a St. Louis dealership for his business as a General Contractor. The truck was used as a work truck for a couple of decades and passed around in the family before it went dormant in the back of the shop. Last licensed in '88, it has 64K original miles.

I hope you're ready for some pictures.

Here is the truck, laying in state, as it has for over two decades.

The first time the door has been opened in at least five years.

The first time the truck has seen daylight in a long time. I'm pulling the truck around the shop while the old guy steers. The wheels were a cheap Craigslist find that we picked up to use as rolling stock for now.

In the shop, ready to get to work.

You know, I used to be able to say that I had never vacuumed the exterior of a vehicle before. Not anymore. Here's a half/half shot taken while vacuuming the dust off the truck.

My father remembers helping his Dad install a steel sheet over the original wood bed floor sometime around '67-'68. Here we're cutting the welds attaching it to the bed to get down to the wood.

Seat, fuel tank, door sills, and floor mat removed.

Looks like we'll be needing some floor pans.

The 230c.i. sixer waiting on a new coil and plug wires. I replaced the points and condenser today, only to find a dead coil.

Pulling the front fenders, bumpers, and bed.

And that's where we're at for the moment. Since the last car we built was for me, my Dad gets to call the shots (personal preference-wise) on this one. The plan for now is to get the stock 230 running, sell it, and get to work on the body. The current thinking is that it will end up being painted satin black, and we have a 355 SBC ready to drop in place of the sixer. Eventually, he'd like it to receive a LS-based swap, but that isn't in the budget just yet. The goal is a reliable hot rod truck for my parents to enjoy, without going so far with the build that they're afraid to take it/park it places (which is what our last build, my car, turned into).

I plan on ordering new floor pans, rockers, cab supports, cab corners and a few other parts tomorrow. From what I've read on here, it seems like Top Banana is the way to go. Do they offer a member discount? As the body work progresses, I'll likely start looking toward CPP for front drop spindles, disc brakes, and a booster/master cylinder assembly.

Last edited by racecougar; 01-12-2013 at 09:23 PM.
racecougar is offline   Reply With Quote