View Single Post
Old 02-15-2015, 01:09 PM   #1
highwinger

vent window woes

So, I finally got all the pieces needed to replace the vent window weather stripping...which took three attempts after watching the videos: 1) got the rubber (Brothers P/N VWW0072 which I expect is Precision), 2) noticed the repair kit is needed for the rivets & tools (rivet & plastic w/s tool) (from LMC). 3) noticed the window channel felt needed replacing, or at least it's a convenient time to replace (45min drive to Ecklers).

I had a hard time getting the assy out. Another thread showed the proper angle (vent perpendicular & inward), but none of the videos or pics included the window belts (horizontal felt/rubber). Unfortunately, I cracked my window & scratched the tint & paint before pulling up the belts enough to pass the bracket...but it finally came out. Removing the rivets & the rubber went as expected.

The troubles started on the install. It appears some rubber has to be cut to install correctly; namely, around the pivot bracket pic#1 (not the spring which did need a flashing removed too). I think some trimming was needed at the junction between the two rubber pieces #2. I couldn't find any reference to needing this, but the rubber wouldn't seat properly until trimmed. Anyone else need this?

The real problem came in testing the tension on the vent window. I have to work the rubber around the window in the forward angle #3 and move the upper part of the window forward #4 to get the window to close. I think the rubber is still in the channel, but it doesn't really act that way. After installing back in the burb, I did have to reseat some rubber in the channel. Any way o fix?

Another question I have where the rubber goes on the outside. My other window has it inside the door, but that seems wrong. Why wouldn't the rubber sit on top of the door to keep (or limit) water & air from entering between the door & vent. I tried both ways & the rubber doesn't seat well to the door either. Actually, its sits weird when the rubber is reseated forward of the tension pivot point. It sits flatter when the rubber isn't in the channel. Can someone verify the rubber is supposed to go on top?
Attached Images

highwinger is offline   Reply With Quote