Thread: Dune Buggy
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2018, 11:16 AM   #1
Scott2

Dune Buggy

Way back in high school I was a big VW guy. My first car was a ‘62 Bug that I bought for $365 with money earned from mowing lawns and working at Tastee Freez. I played with the 40hp motor in that for a while and then swapped in a Porsche super 90 motor with a full race cam and went street racing.

I had a succession of other bugs and a couple of square backs, built a sand rail/desert racer, worked in a VW repair shop for a few years, and drove my Dad’s old ‘59 36hp Bug to college. One year I ran across a fiberglass dune buggy in a guys’ yard. I bought that one for $50 and built it into a really sweet off-road buggy with a big dual carbed motor and a full race car roll cage. It would pull the front wheels on the street and was by far my favorite VW. Sold it to a friend of mine who still has it.

One day this spring I was looking thru CL and ran across this cool little buggy. It’s on a ‘62 floor pan and has a 2276 motor with dual two barrel carbs. I don’t know the compression or cam but it should have > 150, maybe 175 HP and the buggy weighs nothing!! It’s really fast and a blast to drive. Of course it also needs a little work but I drug it home anyway.
Attached Images