View Single Post
Old 03-13-2009, 07:21 PM   #14
6T8&O-her-1

Re: Electric Choke Wiring Help

After some research, I have read that its better to power Electric chokes off of the Field Wire on the alternator since directly tapping into the IGN wire, it may act as a Ballast Resistor and pull the voltage to IGN down which is what I think happened to me. It makes since in theory anyway. The Heater coil for the choke should only be powered when the Engine is Running, and not just when the IGN is on. Reasonable because sometimes like when you are sitting with the Radio on or ACC on where the Gen light is lit, the heater will sit there and just Heat up for no reason. By connecting a relay on the Field wire of the Alternator, it will only receive power when the alternator is rotating, and this only occurs when the engine is running. Please correct me if I am wrong because with this sucky NC weather (70 degrees one day and Rain, Sleet, and snow the next...) I am on the Down side of the weather and am eager to get back under the hood to fix this monster!! Plus, all the switching is done under the hood and not loading up the Weak 12v Bus that supplies the rest of the truck. I also found out by reading that even the headlights usually have a Weak supply of voltage by the time the Voltage goes thru the headlight switch and then to the Headlights...typically 11 volts Plus or minus a 1/2 volt... Putting Relays on your headlights on these older GM's seems to get the full 12volts. Any Comments?

Last edited by 6T8&O-her-1; 03-13-2009 at 07:25 PM.
6T8&O-her-1 is offline   Reply With Quote