View Single Post
Old 07-05-2012, 03:09 AM   #80
argonaut

Re: 66 4x4 my sons new project

Spent most of the Independence Day celebrating by working on two, great American made pickups!

I got both frame rails painted. So now its on to the cross-members and brackets. They should go pretty quickly. I need to pick up some more paint.

I did layout the new holes for the power steering gearbox, and welded up the three for the old box. I also noticed that the three stock gearbox holes are mirrored on the right side frame rail. Weird, as I don't think I've ever seen a right hand drive pickup... I had already painted the right rail so I didn't bother welding up those holes. Its kind of bugging me now though so I might have to weld them up and touch up the paint.

I made a template for the new gearbox and matched the new steering centerline with the old one. Then I slide the template along the centerline until I was at the one spot where I could keep all bolts in the frame. The placement will be fine with the stock 4x4 gearbox and I'm hoping there won't be any issues using a 2wd gearbox later when I go to crossover steering. I didn't have any 2wd gearboxes lying around to check with.

In between spraying coats of paint I started tearing useless junk off the donor 73 K20 pickup so that I can get the body off soon.I removed a lot of crazy wiring from the diesel swap, the dual battery upgrade, etc. Apparently this previous owner didn't share my penchant for clean design. I need to get the body off asap so that I can get at the 73 frame, remove the leaf spring hangers, and get them laid out on the 66 frame. I really want to get the 66 chassis rolling around again by the end of the month!

1972 K5 Blazer CST, Turquoise
1966 K20 Short Fleet Pickup, Big Ugly
1964 C10 Short Fleet, Gertrude

2001 Porsche 911 Carrera
1996 Ford Bronco XLT
1980 Jeep Wagoneer

2008 Honda CBR1000RR
2005 Honda RC51
1981 Honda CB750C

No dis-assemble Johnny Five! No dis-assemble!

Last edited by argonaut; 07-05-2012 at 03:17 AM.
argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote