View Single Post
Old 01-02-2024, 01:21 PM   #2
kwmech

Re: 1989 700R4 going into a 1984 K20 Chevy Suburban

With my knowledge and personal experience with 700s I'd say go with something beefier in that Suburban...like a 4l80e. I've had 2 'burbs with 700s and never had any luck with them. If you are doing any towing or somewhat serious wheeling they just don't last. My opinion is that the 700s should never have been used in a truck. Another thing, a cheap and lasting 700 does not seem to go hand in hand. I had a 1990 suburban with the 700 that went south at 120k miles--(factory trans) I had it built at a local shop with a bunch of upgrades. Trans went south 45k later. I put in a ''factory rebuild'' which is nothing more than a rebuilt put together by some other transmission shop with a GM contract. Had that in for about 50K miles when it started acting up. I sold the truck ---big mistake I loved the truck other than the issues. Now I have a 91. It had a 700. Came home one night after grocery shopping and put the truck into park and it kept rolling. Pulled the pan the next morning and fount a piece of the rear planetary wedged in between the parking pall and the notch hole. Wasn't going to do another 700 EVER!, I converted to a 4l80e. I have other experiences also with the 700, but I'm tired of typing. If somebody comes into the shop wanting me to work on one, I send them to the trans shop and let them have the headache. A little distain??--you bet
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote