View Single Post
Old 10-11-2018, 05:12 PM   #4
LH Lead-Foot

Re: O2 sensor problem.

I have GM "Electronic Service Information" on a stand-a-lone CD set, that I use on an older Dell XP-Pro. The problem was GM started this in late 1997 and up. Prior to that, all you get is the engine / transmission section. This was paper service manual period / pre-smart phone.

So, I have a few GM paper manuals when electrical was in separate book but nothing on GMT400 / GMT800 as the Buick dealer did not have trucks during the 90's.

If you find a paper service manual, just make sure if "Section 8" is included because that is electrical only.

I taught at UTI before it was sold to Phoenix University, then sold again. I was there after my first two lumbar fusions.
Later, I worked for GM on contract. I held 32 different technical service seminars that lasted 3 3/4 hours for up to 100+ Techs, then full day classes for up to 12 techs that lasted two days each. We only had 26 classes but include lab scopes. But the job kept me in a hotel 242 days each year on average for 7+ years. Brutal.
I used to say that I would email my wife a photo so the dog did not bite me when I came home.

I was shocked to find how many techs did not know how OBD-11 works, since it has been around in 1994.

Each code is broken down into "Enable Criteria" so if certain codes are stored, other PCM testing is aborted. The PCM / VCM is very busy for 5 -6 minutes (Less on some) once you start the vehicle. It has to test each circuit or device using a method that would make sure it works to control emissions. It uses resistance, voltage drop, or turns it on while driving to see a change, then passes or fail. Then only "Type A" codes turn on the MIL on the first fail, "Type B" code require two failures and then "Type C". There are fail records stored that can only be erased with a scan-tool and the TECH2 can get all 5 fail records. This is so once fixed, you can repeat the same conditions to see if it passes or fails testing. It all easy, right?Fun huh?