View Single Post
Old 06-07-2014, 09:11 PM   #7
lbspd

Re: Advice for TH350 Transmission Swap on 62' C10

Not a T350 but put a 2004R in my wifes 62.
  • Had to remove crossmember. Wasn't sure how much this would weaken the frame so just in case the ends were left on with thoughts of adding support if necessary.

• With the cross member and old trany gone there is no side support for the motor, which would make stepping on the gas interesting... so side motor mounts are a necessity. Used 67 to 72 perches with a 1/2” spacers. Positioned the perches with the horseshoe mount and old transmission in place, note; It's actually possible to replace the motor mounts, and transmission for that matter, with the motor in, easier with it out but still possible.

• Rear support for the 2004R, quick and easy...but... back to that cut out cross-member my gut feeling when looking at it is that any added HP and/or tendency to stomp on the gas would require more support.

• Drive shaft modified to fit.
  • Transmission oil cooler of course.
Other items I need for the 200-4R:
  • New Starter
  • New Carburetor for TV Cable linkage, and Intake manifold for the new carburetor.
  • Torque converter lock-up wiring and vacuum switch (i.e. 81-82 THM350c) for non computer controlled 2004R and 700R4's.
  • Cut hump/Linkage.
  • Indicator and sending unit. Wanted the Gennie Shifter floor mount indicator/boot because I liked the look and was disappoint to find out that it's no longer available, didn't like the Locar so went with Dakota Digital.

I think that was about it for the trany swap. The truck is still a work in progress, not a frame up just something for my wife to drive around town; clean body with paint, clean interior, power breaks, auto transmission, power steering, 283 rebuilt for reliability, repositioned short person gas pedal etc. probably should have used a 700R4, my thought was that the 2004R might have a less noticeable shift.
Attached Images

Last edited by lbspd; 06-07-2014 at 09:17 PM.
lbspd is offline   Reply With Quote