View Single Post
Old 02-18-2018, 08:47 AM   #29
special-K
Special Order

Re: Janesville Assembly’ To Be Demolished

Not to beat this to death, but never responded to these comments. For the sake of conversation, I have a different take on thiis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericfallon View Post
Comparing a brick box to the art deco building around the world is not fair.

I doubt that factory building was built to last forever. and that can be a problem even if they did retro fit it. Bricks and concrete don't last forever.
We tear down art deco and all the way back to colonial era as well. On my historic town's main street they just tore down an original home to offer 5 lots to build new homes. Kills the whole historic main street vibe. Yet, they put up a cute brown sign out on the interstate stating "Historic Mt. Airy". It too is part of B&O history. Started off as a water stop for trains making the grade. Houses on Main St. were built as summer homes traveled to by train.

That factory was in operation since 1919. It lasted a long time and was not torn down due to structural issues. Plenty of brick buildings from the 1700s still stand today. I think back in 1919 everything was built to last forever. Planned obsolescence is a post WWII concept, for the most part. I don't think in Chevrolet's first ten years they were looking at anything being temporary.

Downtown Frederick, MD
Name:  contact.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  97.4 KB
B&O Railroad Frederick station. Now used as MARC, commuter rail linked to Washington, DC subway system, station as well as Greyhound depot. A multi-use building for modern needs repurposed from it's original use as part of America's first commercial railway. It was renovated, but brick, mortar, slate all lasted through it's vacancy in flying colors.
Name:  FrederickMDmarc1.JPG
Views: 125
Size:  97.8 KB

The Mt. Airy Freight depot is now a pharmacy and doctor's offices.
Name:  Mt Airy depot.JPG
Views: 124
Size:  109.0 KB

Here is the oldest part of the Janesville plant in '09, built 1919
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 02-18-2018 at 09:22 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote