View Single Post
Old 01-19-2020, 10:03 PM   #25
Mike C

Re: 2wd to 4wd.....just curious

The trailing arms ride smoother with their coils than the leafs and they naturally inhibit spring wrap up. You can buy taller rear coils which would let you match height to whatever conversion method you used in the front at least up to a few inches.

I prefer an integral T-case over a non integral, but either work. One interesting thing about the non integral is you can have a longer front shaft and a shorter rear shaft. One of the reasons the 4x4 motor is back so much further than the 2x4 is to get enough length on the front shaft.

If it were mine, I would consider stock HD '73 and up front springs, an 8.5" 10 bolt with 8 lug wheels and either DIY4x4 or '73 spring brackets. The '73 springs are a little longer and should ride a little smoother.

I would also try and find a passenger flat top knuckle and do crossover steering using you factory 2x4 box. Once it was together, pick some new rear springs to match front rid height.

Might make sense to swap a 14 bolt in the rear at the same time if you have an HO52. That would let you run a limited slip. It would be awesome with TrueTracs in both ends

I have some of these parts if you are still considering this when you move to my part of the world.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote