View Single Post
Old 10-01-2013, 12:04 AM   #17
mr48chev

Re: Which year is the most sought after '47-'55 Truck

I don't think that one year model of 3100 shortbed is all that much more desirable than any others. A lot of guys do prefer the five window cabs as they are easier to see out of and get rid of the blind spot on the right side pretty well.

To me a long bed is an automatic 20 percent deduction in value and desirability and a long bed 3/4 ton (8 lug) is probably more than that less desirable than a half ton deluxe cab short bed. Meaning that if you take two trucks side by side in the shop with one being a short bed and one being a long bed and build them identical except for the length of the bed the short bed will be that much easier to sell and probably get that much more attention at shows. I am talking two exactly matching trucks except for the bed length. There are those who no doubt will dispute that but I've been into these trucks for 40 years and have seen the trends.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.